Benefits of Parsley
A sprig of parsley is more than just a garnish! Very much true that it’s a fresh herb which adds its eminent taste to any dish you cook. It finds place in boiled potato delicacies, grain based salads, vegetable soups, fresh juices, starters and also in dips and spreads. Equally elaborative are its health benefits due to the intricate list of nutrients it abounds in.
Parsley and Black Olive Canape
10 Health Benefits of Parsley
Here’s an enormous list of why you should include parsley in your diet….
1. Parsley for Bone Strengthening : Parsley is a fairly good source of calcium, which is definitely known to support bone strength. Vitamin K, is also a key nutrient which helps in bone metabolism. Parsley abounds in this vitamin and vitamin C too, which helps in collagen synthesis around bones. Thus vitamins C and K are important key nutrients, without which your bones would become fragile. Try the recipe of Parsley Hummus. Also check out more Calcium Rich, Vitamin C Rich and Vitamin K Rich Recipes.
2. Parsley for Strong Immunity : Vitamins C, Vitamin A and Vitamin B9, Folate – all work as antioxidants to build your immunity. They fight common diseases as well as strip off harmful free radicals from your body and prevents chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease and so on….
3. Parsley for Healthy Heart : A cup of parsley is good enough to fill your days need of folate, which helps to reduce homocysteine levels in the body. A high level of homocysteine (which are naturally occurring amino acids in our body) can put you at risk of heart diseases and stroke by damaging your blood vessels. Check out the recipe of Parsley Yoghurt Spread. Find a comprehensive list on Heart-friendly foods here.
Parsley Yogurt Spread, Healthy Parsley Yogurt Spread
4. Parsley for Relieving Pain : Possessing natural anti-inflammatory properties, it aids in relieving bone and joint pain, especially related to arthritis.
5. Parsley for Fighting Fatigue : Aanemia is a very common disease these days, with fatigue as one its main symptoms. Adding parsley to you meals daily will help you build your red blood cells count and haemoglobin levels and overcome anaemia. Kick fatigue and welcome energized body with a simple recipe like Quinoa Feta and Mixed Veggie Salad. Know all about Iron Rich Foods.
Quinoa Feta and Mixed Veg Salad
6. Parsley for Cancer Protection : Parsley has been termed as ‘chemo protective’ due to its antioxidant properties. The volatile oils components — myristicin, limonene, and eugenol present in it have been known to protect cell DNA from damage and inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Another compound parsley is rich in is luteolin, a cancer-preventive agent. It destroys cancer cells by interfering with most of the characteristics of cancer cells. Combine your favourite veggies along with Parsley and Garlic Dressing to make a healthy fare.
Parsley and Garlic Dressing
7. Parsley for Kidney Health : A glass of parsley juice is a very good detox to flush out toxins from your body and fight kidney stones. The reason is the same. Thanks to all the antioxidants it carries in itself.
8. Parsley for Improved Digestion : A number of gastro-intestinal problems like flatulence, constipation, indigestion and bloating can be cured by consuming parsley. These digestive abilities of parsley are attributed to its fiber and oil content. They benefit the action of gastric juices and clean the gut as well.
9. Parsley for Cure to Bad Breath : Bad breath or halitosis can easily be oppressed by chewing a few sprigs of fresh parsley. It’s really worth trying as a mouth freshener as it’s sure to ward off the unwanted bacteria from mouth.
10. Parsley for Eye Health : Parsley is abundant in vitamin A too. It’s high beta carotene content protects the retina from damage and helps in proper and clear vision. Consistent consumption of parsley in the form of Carrot and Parsley Juice can also help in preventing age-related macular degeneration.
Carrot Spinach and Parsley Juice
Did You Know?
A cup of freshly chopped parsley fulfils..
1. Your days requirement of vitamin C and vitamin K and folate, and
2. Approx. 12% and 19% of days requirement of vitamin A and iron
5 Interesting Ways to Use Parsley in your Diet the Healthy Way
1. Toss with chick peas to make Parsley Hummus
2. Use it to make a spread – Parsley Yoghurt Spread
3. Make a fresh juice with it – Carrot and Parsley Juice
4. Toss in with grains to make a salad – Quinoa Feta and Mixed Veg Salad
5. Create a dressing out of it – Parsley and Garlic Dressing
Potato and Parsley Soup
Nutritive Information for Parsley:
½ Cup of chopped parsley is about 60 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 20 calories
Protein – 1.3 g
Carbohydrate – 4.1 g
Fat – 0.3 g
Fiber – 2.6 g
Click here to know how to buy parsley
To stay fit…
Toss it, juice it or cook it,
Yes, it’s the herb PARSLEY
You need to use it diversely !!