8 Health Benefits of Coconut Milk, Nariyal ka Doodh
The luscious coconut milk gets its taste and flavour from its creaminess. And this creaminess is what contains the MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which is the current buzz. This contributes to preventing and managing some of the diseases appropriately.
What exactly is coconut milk? It is usually confused with coconut water. But the two are completely different. If you've ever opened a fresh coconut, you will have seen the thin, opaque almost clear coconut juice or water which has a slight almond flavor – that’s coconut water. On the other hand, coconut milk can be made by simply combining freshly grated coconut with warm water, blending it in a blender and straining and squeezing it to obtain that health potion.
This coconut milk can be prepared and stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. It forms an important part of most South Indian Cuisines, Goan cuisines and Thai cooking.
8 Health Benefits of Coconut Milk are Enlightened here…
1. Aids Weight Loss : Recent research says that not eating enough fat can actually make fat. But you need to choose the type of fat correctly. And the answer is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) – which goes directly to the liver and does not get stored as fat in body. Oats coconut milk peanut butter healthy smoothie has this good fat and it will keep you fuller and healthier for a longer time. But remember to control the portion to not go overboard on calories.
Oats, Coconut Milk, Peanut Butter Healthy Smoothie
2. Coconut milk is Lactose Free and Grain Free: Coconut milk ticks two boxes - for those who follow a lactose free and grain free diet. Learn how to make coconut milk at home.
How To Make Coconut Milk
3. Lowers Blood Pressure : Coconut milk contains some amount of potassium which is beneficial for those with high BP. The vitamin C (4.25% in about ¼ cup) is known to keep blood vessels flexible and elastic that enables our blood to flow smoothly and hence resulting in lower blood pressure which is always good for you. Coconut blueberry smoothie is a perfect vitamin C boost.
Coconut Blueberry Smoothie, Low- Carb Smoothie
4. Improves Endurance : Coconut milk is a medium chain triglyceride fatty acid which gets absorbed into the body easily as they are not processed through your stomach. Also being a good fat, it provides more energy over a longer period of time resulting in better performance. A good way to have Coconut Milk is to have a good smoothie that provides all the energy and electrolytes. Avocado Coconut Vegan Smoothie is one such example.
Avocado Coconut Milk Vegan Smoothie
5. Moisturizes the Skin Gives a Shiny Look to Hair : Coconut milk is a MCT fatty acids which have antibacterial and antiviral property by way of which they help counter pimples, keep the smooth elastic and keep dandruff at bay. Applying coconut milk on face and scalp have also exhibited flawless skin and dandruff-free hair.
6. Rich in Vitamins : Coconut milk is a fair source of Vitamin C and to some extent Vitamin B9 (folate) These vitamins are good antioxidants which help fight free radicals and thereby reduce the risk of most major diseases. Try this Thai style pumpkin soup for a favourful experience.
Thai style pumpkin soup recipe | Thai pumpkin veg soup with coconut milk | quick and easy pumpkin soup | spiced pumpkin soup
7. Rich in Minerals : Coconut milk is a fair source of Magnesium, Potassium and Phosphorus. Magnesium is good to maintain nerve function and good for formation of bones while potassium provides the electrolytes. Papaya orange juice is a good way to make up for these nutrients.
Papaya Orange Drink
8. Work Towards a Healthy Heart : The lauric acid present in coconut milk reduces the bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the levels of good cholesterol (HDL). This positive effect on cholesterol levels improves heart health too. You can try vegan oats and coconut milk pudding.
Vegan Oats and Coconut Milk Pudding
Glycemic Index of Coconut Milk : Coconut Milk has an estimated Glycemic Index of 45 to 50 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Coconut Milk have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics when added to diet in controlled serving size.
How to Make Coconut Milk at Home
Break the nut
To make pieces, just cut
Add to blender and shut
Blend and Blend
Strain and Strain
Do not think
Collect your drink!!
Click here to know the recipe of Coconut Milk
Try this healthy concoction and share your opinion.
Nutritional Value of Coconut Milk
¼ Cup of coconut milk is about 50 ml
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 138 calories
Protein – 1.3 g
Carbohydrate – 3.3 g
Fat – 14.3 g
Fiber – 1.3 g
See full nutritional value details of coconut milk in coconut milk glossary