• Rock salt is used as a condiment and preservative in Indian cuisine, especially during fasting days.
• It adds a great flavour to chaats, chutneys, raitas and many other savoury Indian snacks and vegetable preparations.
• Its coarse texture makes it easy to pick up and sprinkle on food during or after cooking.
• Homemade ice-cream recipes often instruct you to sprinkle rock salt on the ice surrounding the cylinder filled with the ice cream mixture. Salt makes ice melt faster, and the resulting salt and water mix freezes at a lower temperature than ice alone. This makes the ice-cream freeze faster.
• Rock salt is also used in Ayurvedic remedies.
How to store rock salt, sendha namak
• Store rock salt in an air-tight container; else it will coagulate.
Health benefits of rock salt, sendha namak
Rock salt is less processed and hence it may contain some nutrients like potassium
etc. In Ayurveda it is used as a laxative and digestive aid. Some studies have also shown that it does not increase blood pressure
, unlike common marine salt. Gargling with rock salt water is also a common remedy for sore throat
. However, rock salt may be devoid of iodine, which is found in table salt. Iodine is a key nutrient required for thyroid function and metabolism. Also we do recommend consuming rock salt in limited quantities to avoid any health complications. Further more studies are necessary to prove its health benefits.